Klondike House - Memories of an Irish Country Childhood
- Sales Rank:149,152
- Format:Kindle eBook
- Language:English (Published)
- Media:Kindle Edition
- Number Of Items:1
- Publication Date:March 9, 2012
In Klondike House
, John Dwyer recounts his memories of growing up on the remote but beautiful Beara Peninsula in West Cork, Ireland. The author's vivid and colorful stories describe his hard but happy life as part of an isolated but close-knit community, such as:
- His early school days spent in a building with no running water or electricity
- An encounter with a violent sheep that literally turned his world upside down
- The days spent cutting the turf and saving the hay by hand
- An Irish Christmas where nearly everything on the table was sourced from the farm
- His exciting family history that brought his relations to the Klondike Gold Rush in Canada
Complemented by a collection of evocative photographs, each chapter recounts a way of life that has now largely disappeared.
Sprinkled with a selection of fitting works by some of Ireland's best-known poets such as Seamus Heaney and Patrick Kavanagh, this gem of a book is a chronicle of the simple but happy life of an Irish farmer boy.
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.